Monday, May 29, 2017

Resources

PBS Learning Media:
URL: https://wgvu.pbslearningmedia.org/
I first heard about this portal in my Teacher Assisting seminar last semester. An educator came in and talked about it and walked us through how to set up an account with it.  In my final project, I could use it to find tech resources that go with whatever topic I want to do.

New Vaccines Workshop:
http://www.centreofthecell.org/wp-content/uploads/New_Vaccines.pdf
I found this lesson plan on Centre of the Cell's twitter. This could give me an idea of what topic to plan a lesson on.  I especially life this one because it's about relevant current issues.
NGSS: HSLS1-2

Natural Selection Lesson Plans:
http://www.ngsslifescience.com/science.php?/biology/lessonplans/C394/
I found this list of lesson plans by searching "secondary education science natural selection lesson" to see if I could find any good lesson plans for natural selection, and so I did!  These would also be great for giving me a place to start/something to modify for a lesson instead of starting from scratch.
NGSS: HSLS4-2, HSLS4-4

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle! I too talked about PBS Learning Media. From a teacher's perspective, I agree with you completely about being able to find a resource for any subject. I think that this resource is definitely credible due to PBS being a well known and reputable organization, as well as being recognized by GVSU and other universities. Many colleges bring instructors in to introduce it to education majors, as they did at GVSU, so I believe that it is super reliable. I am not sure what age group you are planning to target - is this for secondary? Your second lesson plan seems suitable for that secondary age group, but I am curious what specific grade level you are thinking! Natural Selection is a good topic, and your last resource really seems like it could help you build a strong lesson. I would really like to know what specific resources you are planning on using from these three resources. I think it's a great start! I just can't go into more detail to evaluate the resources until I know exactly what you will be taking from each one to use with students! :) In a general sense, I think for teaching purposes these resources are easily accessible and easy to navigate, so that will be good when going through them to narrow down what you will do for your final lesson. I like where you're going with these!

    ReplyDelete

Issues & Trends

Issue: CIPA/COPPA The Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) are laws ...